The tiny house is coming along slowly but surely, with all of the walls up, and most recently the loft beams, too. Our subfloor was questionably ruined, at least partially, in a massive downpour of rain a few weeks ago. Luckily everything was fine, but we spent a few days taking the walls down and removing the subfloor sheathing just to make sure, only to put it all back together again afterwards. Fortunately though nothing was lost but a bit of time. To prevent this from happening again, we have purchased a 20’x28′ tarp to create a temporary roof, which in itself took a bit more of our time again.
Rain has been the theme to our outdoor project this summer, particularly in July, where about half of our potential work days got rained out, but even in August as well. After the first rain storm, I went to check on the tarp, which had slipped on one of the corners, letting in some more water. I forgot to mention that after we re-laid the subfloor sheathing after checking for water damage, we covered the entire floor with a layer of vapour barrier, which was donated to us free, as a secondary defence against water. The vapour barrier did a good job of keeping out the water where the tarp had slipped, although it only takes one pinhole to create a potential water problem, and a little bit of work went into making sure that everything would dry properly.
We rebuilt the tarp roof, learning from our previous mistakes from its first construction, and it has now withstood two rainstorms, including the freaky electrical one that’s been happening all night and which continues even as I write this.
The camera on my phone takes an alright photo in good daylight; it’s the HTC 1X, and for convenience and since I am not a photographer, it’s where all of our photos come from. It’s weakness though is its flash and any use in dimly lit rooms. It is somewhat distinguishable though, in the above photo, that the bottom of the loft beams are comfortably above my standing height. I am about 5’10” and Kat is about 5’4″, and when the flooring and ceiling are finished there will be 6’6″ in standing height beneath each loft.
We used 2×6’s for the loft beams, which now installed add additional sturdiness to our structure, securing the two 20′ walls together in about 16 places in total. Since the building height is restricted to 13’6″, the loft takes away precious inches of potential space in our lofts, which will be a little bit more than four feet in height at the peak, so we have decided to make little hatches in the floor in certain spaces to create storage space in the floor. The loft beams were never intended to be exposed from the bottom, so the five-and-a-half inches of space across the loft floors will be devoted to storage.
Oh, and then we bought a tub. Or more accurately, we bought a water trough, which will be converted into a tub. Unfortunately we had too difficult a time trying to obtain one of these used. There were occasional ads we found on Kijiji, pretty few and far between, but none of them responded back, and one of the troughs in particular didn’t look so great anymore, so in the end we bought this new, although on sale, so we paid $150 instead of its usual $210 at a TSC Store in Cambridge. We’ll likely elevate it a little bit off the ground for proper drainage, and with a shower head installed above, it will double as a shower as well. Now before it rains down on us too much more, we will have the roof up shortly, and the tiny house will finally, after an unprecedentedly wet summer, be protected for good.